21 February, 2008

This semester

This semester has been incredible, both in a good way, and in a trying way. It's been one thing after another. I had room mate problems that are gratefully resolved. I'm barely staying afloat in my classes, which means I have a lot of work to do this weekend. Yesterday I realized I had misses a chemistry test due to being sick on Tuesday. I am blessed that my teacher allowed me to make it up yesterday, especially considering she had previously stated she would allow no make-up tests except on an emergency basis. So then I had the flu on Tuesday, and now I'm fighting a cold. I am really frustrated with all of this. I'm sick of it. I know it isn't the right attitude, but I'm feeling pushed to the point of breaking, and I keep thinking, God when is this ordeal by fire going to be over? I keep being reminded of James 1:2-4. Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. Well, patience isn't one of my strong attributes, and I guess God decided it's time I work on that. It's nice being reminded that God is in control, not me. This semester has also been really good in a lot of ways. I found a church!!! I am so grateful. It is incredible finding a family of fellow believers. I am also involved with Campus Crusade, and the Intervarsity ministry here on campus, which have been an incredible blessing already. This semester is flying by so fast, I cannot believe it! Just yesterday, I realized I am five weeks into the semester. It's hard to believe. God is faithful to meet me, no matter what I am facing. He gives me the strength and courage to bear up under any trial.
GOD Bless!

5 comments:

Blessed son of the King said...

God has been dealing with you gently, but helping you move on toward trusting Him in all things. He want for you to NOT be shaken and blown with every wind and wave of tribulation (trial) that comes to try to rock you.
You have the spiritual armor of God. Do not forget to put it on each day, for with it you will be protected from the blows of the enemy and the flaming arrows that he launches at you. And you have the Word, which is the Sword to put the enemy to flee. Do not be afraid to use it.
I look forward to hearing more about the church you've found.
LY
:P

Laura Ashley ~ said...

You can do it Beth! We're with ya!

Chris Krycho said...

I hope it's some comfort to you that you're not alone: that many (if not most) people I know who are believers here at school have gone through seasons like the one you describe. It's hard. God wants us in complete reliance on Him. And when we are, the hard times stay hard - but we're no longer operating from our own strength, and as such are far more capable of dealing with the situations.

I keep seeing that passage in James come up, and about six months ago God really surprised me with a thought about that passage: if the testing of our faith is to produce patience, then it's a pretty sure bet that it's not going to be short-term testing. If it were, it might produce lots of other good fruits - but probably not patience or endurance.

I love you!

Ame said...

My first semester at college was really tough ... I moved from Florida to Texas ... had never lived west of the east coast and had never been to Texas ... you might as well have plopped me in the middle of China it was so different.

My first roomie had a very dark personality. She was from a small TX town not far from the college, so she knew the "ropes." I was really left to fend for myself against all the wolves out there.

I was able to be moved out of her room, off a GREAT hall, and into an empty room on an okay hall. I got my new roomie after Christmas break ... also from TX, but one of the sweetest friends I had in college.

It's tough out there. You are blessed to have your family supporting you and praying for you. Your college years will move by swiftly, and they will become poignant to many of the choices you make beyond college.

You're making great choices ... keep that up. You'll see those who make bad choices in college paying the consequences of such for many years in many ways.

Patience ... ahhh ... it's not the book learning that prevails in college ... it's the rest of life's lessons experienced, worked through, and learned ... though patience, I think, is something we face till we reach heaven ;)

Lindsey said...

God always has a plan and a door to be opened or closed and a lesson to learn. I'm finding that out daily lately.. it seems like I tend to forget, yet He is faithful in reminding me! I'm working, too, on finding everything with joy.. not easy, but completely worth it!